Windows has many built-in features that a windows user may not be aware of. This list goes like Windows voice recorder, video Editor, Xbox screen recorder, etc. In this list, we can include the tool Steps recorder as well.
Steps recorder is primarily designed for recording the steps to reproduce a problem. It was introduced from the windows 10 version before which was not added as a feature to the Operating System. In windows 7, there was a different version of it called Problems Steps Recorder that offered only minimal support on recording steps.
This tool is in fact developed to help windows support professionals to help in discovering and fix any issues specific to Windows OS that cannot be captured with any screen recording tools offered by third parties.
Let’s explore this tool step-by-step,
Step 1: Launch Steps Recorder
- Click on the start button.
- Select Windows accessories folder.
- Click on Steps recorder.
Windows 7 or 8.1:
- Click on the Start button.
- Select Accessories > Problem Steps Recorder.
Step 2: On launching Steps Recorder, you may see a Ribbon with options for
- Start Record
- Stop Record
- Add comment
- Interrogation mark
Step 3: On clicking on Start Record recording starts from that point, thereby all activities that you do in your system including mouse click, browser activities, or even clicking on any item from the taskbar will be recorded step-by-step.
See Also: Why Linux is better than Windows ?
Step 4: At any point, while recording, one can add comments related to the step by clicking add comment.
For doing this,
- Click on add comment
- Mark the area on the screen which you want to add a comment
- Type in your comment
- Click on ok
Step 5: Once completed recording, click on stop record
You will be shown with recorded steps which you can review and confirm
Here, verify that the steps accurately describe the recording you made and it doesn’t show any confidential data that you do not want others to see. It is a must to confirm these before you share the steps file with others.
- Review the recording steps and additional details
- Review the recorded steps as a slideshow
Step 6: Once reviewed, you can save the recording by clicking on save or shortcut Alt+V.
While saving, you can select the location to save on your desktop. The file will be saved in the .zip format
Steps Recorded Settings
These are basically temporary settings that you can adjust before you start step recording.
1. Output File: Help to browse and select the location to save the steps file (.zip) on your computer.
Also one can enter a direct path to store the file.
2. Enable Screen capture: The tool leaves including screen capture to the user’s choice. Click on “yes”, if need steps to be recorded with screenshots.
Click on “No”, if screenshots need not be required as they may have confidential data recorded.
3. Number of recent screen captures to store: The maximum number of screens that might be required in a step recorder can be adjusted in this option. The default value will be 75 where the minimum value should be one or maximum value up to 999.
But you should note that these settings will be reset on closing and opening the application once.
Hope this article has covered how to use the windows steps recorder application. If any queries please let us know in the comments below.