Are you wanted to deactivate a Facebook account, instead of deleting Facebook account permanently? There is a difference between deleting and deactivating a Facebook account. Deactivation is just temporarily hiding your timeline from others and you can re-activate when you want. But Deletion is removing your account permanently from the Facebook. Follow the below steps to deactivate a Facebook account.
Instruction to Deactivate a Facebook Account
1 Log-in to your Facebook account and click the small arrow button at the top right side of the page. Select “Account Settings” from the menu and click “Security” listed in the left side of the page.
3 At the bottom of the security page, you could find the “Deactivate your account” link. Click that link to deactivate a Facebook account.
4 Now, you will be redirected to the deactivation confirmation page. This page asks you to enter the reason for deactivating your Facebook account.
- Reason for leaving: This is a mandatory field, so choose any one of the reason from the list.
- Please explain further: Give more details for deactivating the Facebook account, so Facebook team will work on it to improve.
- Email opt out: Tick the check box to stop future emails from Facebook.
Once you finish giving the reason, click “Confirm” button at the bottom.
5 Enter the account password and click “Deactivate Now”. This is for security purpose to check whether you are deleting your own user account.
6 Type the text found in the image at the below text box and click “Submit” button. This is a final security check to confirm whether you are a human or a robot. Now your Facebook account was deactivated. If you want to reactivate, then simply log-in into your Facebook account.
Tips & Warnings
- Once you deactivate a Facebook account, your name and picture will be removed.
- Even after deactivation some things stay there and will not be removed. Your names in your friend’s list and sent messages will not be removed.
- Your information will be saved, so that you can reactivate your account whenever you want.
- Read this article to delete a Facebook account permanently.