The word ‘immune’ comes from the Latin word ‘Immunis’, meaning ‘untouched’. Immunity is the body’s ability to protect itself from ‘foreign bodies’. This includes killing harmful cells, clearing up dust which gets in the lungs and fighting infections etc. When your immunity weakens, illnesses occur. Here are some natural ways to help you boost immune system.
How does your immune system work?
Immune system is your body’s personal army. It is made up of certain organs, cells and chemicals, that work together to protect you against infection-causing viruses and bacteria.
Your Immune System has Two Responses
- Innate: Comprises of your body’s natural defense barriers such as skin, your body’s secretions (stomach acids, sweat), eyelashes or your hair.
- Adaptive: Develops over your lifetime through coming in contact with different kinds of pathogens that infect and harm you Your body is primed to recognize when the same pathogen tries to attack the body and destroy it. It’s easier to stay well than to get well.
Include these vitamins in your diet for a strong immune system:
Vitamin C: Vitamin C is one of the best immune system boosters which acts as a shield to your body against infections. Your body doesn’t naturally generates it or even stores it, so you must include foods rich in vitamin C like citrus fruits, papaya, guava, etc… in your diet.
Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 is vital to supporting biochemical reactions in the immune system. Foods like chicken and cold-water fish such as salmon and tuna are rich in this vitamin. It is also found in green vegetables and chickpeas.
Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps the body fight off infection. Foods rich in vitamin E include nuts, sunflower seeds, avocado and spinach. Get your daily dose of essential vitamins right here.
See Also: How to Manage and Reduce Mental Stress
Spices – Natural Immune Boosters
Besides vitamins, some spices are good natural sources for better immunity:
Garlic: Garlic’s immune-boosting properties seem to come from a heavy concentration of sulfur-containing compounds, such as allicin. It helps lower blood pressure and slows down the hardening of arteries. Increase your daily garlic intake with our wide range of natural extracts.
Ginger: Ginger is packed with heat because of the presence of the chemical compound gingerol. It helps to cure a sore throat, nausea and possesses • cholesterol-lowering properties. Say yes to ginger with our exclusive ginger supplements.
Turmeric: Turmeric consists of a compound called curcumin which, besides giving the spice its bright yellow colour, has many health benefits. Turmeric fights inflammation, age-related chronic diseases and exercise-induced muscle pain. Improve your immunity naturally with our all natural turmeric supplements.
Lifestyle Changes to Boost Immune System
Other than diet, certain lifestyle changes can help in boosting the immune system as well. Here’s what you can do for better immunity:
- Stop smoking
- Exercise regularly
- Get enough sleep
- Cut down on alcohol consumption
- Reduce stress
- Wash your hands frequently to avoid infections
1. Maintain hygiene: A healthy immune system helps your body to tackle germs, but it’s better to stop them from entering the body in the first place. Make sure to practice good hygiene practices and wash your hands with soap and water more often. Every square centimetre of your hands may contain upto 1500 bacteria. Wash them off with hand sanitizers and hand washes.
2. Eat healthy: A balanced diet that contains vegetables and fruits of every color can fulfill your body’s vitamins and minerals needs.
Think your diet may not be enough to fuel your immune system? Explore our range of nutritional drinks and start filling the gaps.
3. Cut down the stress: Stress can take a toll on your immune system and decrease its efficiency of fighting infections. Get enough sleep and practice at least 10-minute meditation on a daily basis.
A healthy outside starts from a healthy inside. Our mind wellness range is all packed with natural stress reliever products.
4. Get vaccinated: Certain infections can be prevented only if you get vaccinated against them. Consult your doctor to understand what vaccinations you may need.
Need an update on what are your vaccination needs? Don’t let the lockdown stop you. Consult our expert doctors online.
5. Get your body moving: Physical activity improves blood circulation which in turn empowers the cells and organs of your immune system to function proactively.
Besides dietary and lifestyle changes, it is important that you:
Remember A healthy immune system cannot be achieved overnight. You need to take one step at a time and keep adding incrementally.
Soak in the sun: Sunlight consists of vitamin D, which is a supercharger for your immune system. 15-20 mins of sunlight each day is enough.
Laugh a lot: As per a study, laughing often and staying happy is beneficial for your overall immunity. It also helps in lowering stress levels and promotes overall well-being.